Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Fat Tuesday!


Mardi Gras, french for Fat Tuesday, is celebrated as a day of indulgence. Most people think of this as a drinking holiday, but today, I saw it as something completely new.

In honor of my Sustainable Taco Tuesday Challenge, I paid a visit to the Berkeley Farmers Market. What a beautiful day to pick. Everyone there was in such good spirits! I felt so natural to shop for my food based on what the farmers had in stock. And they know so much about their product aka PRODUCE...get it?! Don't know what something is? They'll explain it. Need to know how to cook something. They've got you covered. It's great. Another benefit of frequenting the markets is that its just a great way to keep in touch with the seasons. For instance, I admit that I didn't realize that pear season is just ending! What?? I've been missing out on juicy, delicious pears! For many of you, this may be nothing new, but the point is, it's time we celebrate the seasons of the food we eat! Indulge in the good stuff!

Taco Tuesday Challenge Rule #1: Obey the seasons and your food will always taste great!

It's true. Fruits and Vegetables taste so much better when they are fresh and in season. I have no desire to make salsa right now because I know that tomatoes are best from June until August. And trust me, it has taken a lot for me to come to terms with this. Truth be told, I am willing to wait because I know it will not only taste better, but feel right.

Last night I watched Food, Inc, for the second time. If you haven't heard of it or haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Here's a link to their site. http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-film.php Be advised that this movie may force you to join me in this fight for a more sustainable food system. And I hope it does.

I would like to end saying that though I made it to the farmers market today, I realize it's not possible for me everyday. I still buy un-local, un-organic food when that is all I can afford and is available. And I also admit that my food bills are probably higher than most people's in this country right now. But that's reality. Junk food, laden with subsidized corn is not reality.

So, let's celebrate this week with the joys of real food!
Cheers,

Zelda F.
Food Enthusiast Extraordinaire

p.s. I'm working on some recipes for next week's post!

No comments:

Post a Comment